Did you hear about...
Tell your stories here.
Anything encouraging happened last Friday? Any keen questions asked this past Sunday? Any conversations that sound promising? Any observations of growth? Any moments of grace?
Encourage one another here...
5 Comments:
I was amazed and encouraged by the willingness of the teens to learn a new song! (I was extremely nervous about teaching it) Actually, I don't really know if they were all that willing, but it sure helps with the adults and counsellors (who naturally serve as role models just by being in the same room)being willing themselves to participate. I don't think it would have caught on if various adults didn't contribute to the time of worshipping together. So thanks to you all who risked getting out of your comfort zone tonight! I hope and pray that your teens will be curious about who this God we worship is by wondering why you worship him with "all of your heart, mind, and strength."
Well, thanks to you as well, "shhhh" (May - for those who don't get it yet), for knowingly risking yourself in teaching a new song.
I am conscious of this "modelling worship" opportunity also. Especially with the Joseph kids who may never have worshipped in this way before. I'm just wondering what may be going through Gerardo's head. In AWANA, I don't think they sing as much as we do. Or pray as "silently" as we do. All in all, I hope our effort (Simon, Jon and May's especially) in this modelling works. In actuality we are always "modelling worship" to the kids - in the way we love them in different ways (Romans 12:1).
(Also, just an observation: It's ironic, don't you think, that recently it seems we have more people showing up for worship on Friday nights than we do showing up for worship on Sunday mornings. Is this an indication of something?)
Something encouraging going on with Jordan Fellowship is the fact that our attendance in the past two weeks has exploded to 22 and 23 people. There are a lot of reasons for this unexpected jump: new "September-new-School year jump," friends feeling more comfortable inviting their friends, etc... But God's behind this mostly (rather, "totally"), and I'm wondering what and why these particular youths have been given to us to care. I am extremely glad, of course, but I wonder about this responsibility - why me, why these kids, what is God up to?!
One final story I'd like to tell: Last Friday, Tammy shared with the whole fellowship about a struggle of hers - she was honest and vulnerable, and very encouraging to the kids. Out of this, after our fellowship had ended, I had an opportunity to ask Lilian how she felt after her first night in Jordan. She sat with me and was very willing to tell me about her own similar struggle. We had a good talk; I got to know more about her. I couldn't help but think, "What if Tammy hadn't shared what she did? Would Lilian know that struggling is okay?" In the end, I was also amazed at how God weaved the events that night so that, for at least one teen, God became apparent.
Last Tuesday Jo and I watched "The Amazing Race Finale" together with Albert (of Joseph Fellowship). Albert, Jo and I had talked all summer about it - we'd update each other, give our opinions on who we thought would win, funny parts, scary parts, all the usual stuff. When we knew the finale was coming up, Jo invited Albert to watch it together with us. He was all for it. We made arrangements to pick him up, go for dinner then head over to my house to watch two-hours of heart-stopping television. I was so into it (I screamed and pumped my fist in the air when "my" team had won) Jo told me afterwards that Albert seemed a little "scared." Oh well. He got to know me a bit more. All in all we had an great night together. We had time to get to know him a bit more (DID YOU KNOW HE ENTHUSIASTICALLY JOINED THE CHRISTIAN CLUB AT HIS HIGHSCHOOL? Very cool eh? He also invited me to visit one week) and I believe he got to know both Jo and I a little more too. Another good thing about this one tv-night together was that the following Friday at fellowship, he seemed a lot more comfortable; comfortable just being part of Bethel and Joseph...at least that's what Jo and I observed.
I share this not to boast, but to encourage you to also consider opportunities to connect more deeply with youths in your class or fellowships.
I also want this place (this blog) to be where we can share stories like this, not only to "report" what's going on, but to share with and encourage one another with moments of connection with out youths...
Connect away!
Wow! That's neat. Good to hear that someone else sensed Albert's openess also...
By the way, who exactly are you, Catapestry, oh mysterious one?
Wow! This is very encouraging to hear about ... I don't know him too well, and I always wonder how well he has fitted in because he seems so shy. Thanks everyone for your stories and comments. It's incredible how God works with something as basic (but not easy to give) as our willingness.
Post a Comment
<< Home