October 13, 2004

Practicing Our Faith

This link is to an organization strongly affiliated to the Way to Live resources (I think it's essentially the same people, e.g. Dorothy Bass). Practicing Our Faith is an "adult version" of Way to Live.The content covered is similar and the thinking behind it is similar. I really like the Valparaiso Project on the Education and Formation of People in Faith because they have an intelligent understanding and approach to incorporating Christian practices into the fabric of our lives. It has occurred to me that if the teens are using Way to Live, then the adults can draw on Practicing Our Faith.

So here's an idea (which is what I'm good at, having ideas). What if EM structured their fellowship learning programs so that everyone is learning about the "same" practice (say over a month's period)? It's kinda like what we are doing with PDL. Exploring the same content allows for cross-fellowship discussion/planning and suggests that we all the same basic struggles about living by Christian values.

"Structure" is not necessarily implemented through schedule, though it could be. It could be as basic as using similar content from similar sources, or programming with the intent of complementing what other groups are doing, or tying things around the sermons. The point here is considering how an "intergenerational" (EM is at max half a generation apart) approach to learning might be beneficial to the church, by ways of learning and building community.

The VPL has some print materials from the Valparaiso Project on the Education and Formation of People in Faith. I'm picking these up today to see if they are need appropriate for Grapes or even the college groups. Will keep you posted on what I find.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home